Title: International Congress of Linguists
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Link out: Click here
Start Date: 2013-07-22
End Date: 2013-07-27
The International Congress of Linguists (ICL) takes place every five years, under the governance of the International Permanent Committee of Linguists (CIPL). The last congress took place in Seoul, year 2008. The Société Suisse de Linguistique (SSL) submitted a proposal for the organization of the 19th congress, in 2013, in Ferdinand de Saussure’s city, one century after his death. Geneva was chosen for the venue, and the Congress will take place there, from July 21 to July 27.
The title of the Congress is :
The Language-Cognition Interface
The sessions organisers have been chosen by the scientific committee :
1. Saussure and his legacy: Frederick J. Newmeyer (University of Washington, Seattle, USA, University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University, Canada).
2. Origin of language and human cognition: Anne Reboul (Institute for Cognitive Sciences, CNRS, Lyon, France).
3. The life, growth and death of languages: Claire Bowern (Yale University, USA).
4. Phonology and Morphology: Marc van Oostendorp (Meertens Instituut, Amsterdam, Netherlands).
5. Theoretical and comparative syntax: Luigi Rizzi (University of Sienna, Italy, and University of Geneva, Switzerland).
- 6.A Semantics-pragmatics Interfaces: Kai von Fintel (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA) and David Beaver (University of Texas at Austin, USA).
- 6.B Pragmatics, Discourse and cognition: Laurence Horn (Yale University, USA) and Istvan Kecskes (State University of New York, Albany, USA).
7. Psycholinguistics: Ulrich Frauenfelder (University of Geneva, Switzerland).
8. Sociolinguistics and multilingualism: Edgar Schneider (University of Regensburg, Germany).
9. Experimental and computational approaches to language and linguistics: Eric Wehrli (University of Geneva, Switzerland).
10. Varia: Stephen Anderson (Yale University, USA).
The keynote speakers have been chosen by the Scientific Committee:
- History of linguistics: Giorgio Graffi, University of Verona, Italy.
- Sociolinguistics: Peter Auer, University of Freiburg, Germany.
- Syntax: Liliane Haegeman, University of Ghent, Belgium.
- Semantics: Angelika Kratzer, University of Massachussets, Amherst, USA.
- Origin and evolution of language: W. Tecumseh Fitch, University of Vienna, Austria.
- Pragmatics and cognition: Philippe Schlenker, Institut Nicod, Paris, France; University of New York, USA.
- Neurolinguistics: Karen Emmorey, San Diego State University, USA.
- Computational linguistics: Mark Johnson, Macquarie University, Australia.